by Jennifer Siebel Newsom, writer, director, producer
Thursday, June 18, 2015
The Osher Marin JCC, 200 N. San Pedro Rd., San Rafael
Doors open at 6:30pm, film at 7:00pm. Discussion from 8:30-9:30pm.
Following the screening, there will be a lively discussion with a panel of leading experts on male gender-role training, including:
- Brian O'Connor, Futures Without Violence, Coaching Boys to Men,
- Christian Dean, Dominican University, Professor of Political Science,
- ramesh kathanadhi, trainer, consultant, and activist around issues of gender and racial justice
- Steve Wooldridge, ManKind Facilitator, and
- Donna Garske, C4DP Executive Director as moderator.
Presented by Center for Domestic Peace and ManKind, in association with the Osher Marin JCC. Supported in part by Marin County, Department of Health and Human Services, PRANDI Property Management, and Transitional Wealth Strategies.
Click HERE to reserve your FREE seat.
Click HERE to read a recent Huffington Post article on the film.
- Compared to girls, boys are two times more likely to flunk or drop out or school
- Compared to girls, boys are two times more likely to receive special education
- Compared to girls, boys are four times more likely to be expelled
- Every day three or more boys commit suicide
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death for boys
- 93% of boys are exposed to internet porn before age 18
- Only 22 states require public schools teach sex education
Is there a “boy crisis” in America? Is our male population suffering due to our culture’s emphasis on power, dominance, and aggression?
The Mask You Live In follows boys and young men as they struggle to stay true to themselves while negotiating America’s narrow definition of masculinity. Pressured by the media, their peer group, and even the adults in their lives, our protagonists confront messages encouraging them to disconnect from their emotions, devalue authentic friendships, objectify and degrade women, and resolve conflicts through violence.
View "The Mask You Live In" Trailer: