Center for Domestic Peace mobilizes individuals and communities to transform our world so domestic violence no longer exists, creating greater safety, justice and equality.
Our administrative office is open Monday - Friday, 9AM - 5PM and can be reached at 415.457.2464 (Business line only). Located at 734 A Street, San Rafael, CA 94901.
Need to make an appointment? Calling our hotline is the first step toward accessing our services and is required in order to make an appointment.
Center for Domestic Peace was founded in 1977 by a group of visionary women operating under the name Marin Abused Women’s Services (MAWS). Since then, we have helped thousands of women, children, and men to end the violence and to achieve safe, productive lives.
MAWS started as a volunteer effort with women being sent to private homes for safety. Over the years, we have grown to provide a wide array of services, which include:
- 24/7 English & Spanish & Youth hotlines
- Safety planning
- Emergency shelter
- Transitional housing
- Drop-in support groups
- Domestic violence response teams
- Information and referrals
- Advocacy, court accompaniment, and referrals
- Group therapy for survivor parents and their children
- Classes and training for men and women to learn how to stop their violence
- Community education and prevention programs for youth and adults
- Technical assistance and training for local, state, and national groups
- Policy development
To better reflect the wide range of our current and future work, in October 2010 we adopted a new name – Center for Domestic Peace – where MAWS continues to find its home.
Center for Domestic Peace has accomplished amazing things since 1977 and is known as a leader in the field of domestic violence prevention.
Note our accomlishments are reflected on this national timeline in 1977, 1980, 1985, 1992, 1997: http://www.vawnet.org/domestic-violence/DVPreventionTimeline/